Sunday, October 28, 2012

Lighting images.

All of the photos with the backdrop were done at my wife's dance studio with my daughters. Used were my speedlight and some slave unit flashes. I've found when trying to light portraits that a 3part point of attack is great. Cross lighting from both sides will a fill light from the back.  That's the lighting used in all of the shots with the back drop.
























For this shot I used the flash to freeze the image and control the lighting in the background.

In this instance I wasn't able to defeat the bright sunlight, I was too far away, I wish her face wasn't quite so shaded.

Here the flash actually provided the really cool effect of mirroring the car off the wood.

For the next two pictures of my daughter the flash is used as a fill light to combat the sunset on her right. I like getting her face lit well but still getting the golden glow in her hair from the sunset.



While I know we're supposed to be using flash, I thought this silhouette of my wife was a nice shot of using light to be a bit more artistic. I didn't use a flash here and it provided a nice silhouette.


Here we were in bright sunshine and I used the flash to illuminate her face just enough while still maintaining the bright contrast on her back.

1 comment:

  1. Your girls are simply adorable! They looked so natural while being photographed. How strong were the flash units you used?

    ReplyDelete